What Makes You A Jazz Singer?
Let’s take a look at the characteristics of jazz and what it means when you say you ‘sing jazz.’
So… what is JAZZ anyway? What does it mean to ‘sound jazzy’? Apart from singing the right songs, how does a singer get that authentic jazz style going? Well my friend, I’ll answer all of that in today’s video for you.
I’ll take you through the 10 characteristics that most jazz singers typically have (hint: it’s not just about having a low, sultry voice and lounging glamorously on a piano). If you can tick most of the things off that I mention in the video below, then you’re well on your way to being all things jazz!
10 Characteristics of Jazz Singers
To truly say you are a ‘jazz singer’, you should typically have these skills under your belt.
- You improvise
- You can swing
- You have good microphone technique
- You understand music and know where you are in the tune at all times
- You have developed good musical hearing
- You understand rhythm and can count the band in
- You have a lower voice
- You have a wide repertoire of jazz standards from the Great American Jazz Book under your belt
- You can understand and interpret sensitive music and make it your own… on the fly
- You have developed your own style of phrasing
Did you like this video?
If you found it helpful or have any other jazz singing techniques you’d like to share, leave me a comment below!
Try these tutorials next!
Learn to sing new songs fast, and sing them YOUR way in today’s tutorial. 5 steps to help to you learn and re-arrange it so it sounds like your own version.
Use this nifty trick to Transpose Music in under five minutes. This makes transposing quick and super easy!
Learn how to sing Cry Me A River and navigate some of the tricky-to-pitch sections.
Ready to learn more and improve faster?
Join my six week Singing Academy and build the voice you’ve always wanted.
Get Four FREE Vocal Warm Ups!
I'll also send you tips on improving your singing.